CRM (Advanced): Custom Fields
TaxDome provides a whole set of custom fields, but you may want to create some of your own too. Custom fields allow you to add details about your accounts and contacts. For example, Address, City and Type account custom fields or Birthday and Best Time to Call contact custom fields would allow you to also include those details.
A custom field can be created by a firm owner, an admin or a team member who has access rights to manage custom fields.
- Account Custom Fields
- Contact Custom Fields
- Editing/Deleting Custom Fields
- Searching Custom Field Content
- Using Custom Fields as Shortcodes
Account Custom Fields
- Adding Account Custom Fields While Importing
- Adding Account Custom Fields From Settings
- Adding Custom Fields for Existing Accounts
You get to include specific details about an account by filling in custom fields. Inside a client’s account, go to the Info tab, then click the three dots to the far right of Account Details. Under Custom Fields, fill in the custom fields you want to see added to the Account Details page, then click Save.
Adding Account Custom Fields While Importing
Create new custom fields for accounts while importing your client data to TaxDome:
1. Once you’ve reached the Map Accounts stage of the import, you might see that there’s no account property name to pair with a column header name you used on your spreadsheet. Don’t worry! Create a new account property name or custom field by selecting New field from the drop-down menu.
2. Under Field name, enter what you would like to call it; for example, City, Size or Website.
3. Click Save.
Once the import is complete, the new custom field is available for all your accounts.
Adding Account Custom Fields From Settings
Add account custom fields whenever you want from your settings:
1. Go to Settings, select Custom Fields, then click + Add field.
2. Enter a name for the field (for example, EIN, SSN or Best Time to Call), then click Save.
Fill in the new custom field by going to the Create client account page or to the account Info tab.
Adding Custom Fields for Existing Accounts
If you want to add custom fields to all of your existing accounts, follow these steps:
1. First, export all your accounts by going to the Clients page and clicking Export Accounts. You’ll then receive an email with an attached zip CSV file with all your accounts.
2. Open the CSV file and delete all columns from the spreadsheet except for the account name column. Add columns for the custom fields you want to add and fill in with data.
3. Save everything as CSV file.
4. Upload the spreadsheet to TaxDome by clicking the Import button on the Clients page.
6. Skip the other steps and click Start Import on the last step. No new accounts will be created. Instead, the new custom fields will be added to your existing accounts.
Contact Custom Fields
- Adding Contact Custom Fields While Importing
- Adding Contact Custom Fields From Settings
- Adding Custom Fields for Existing Contacts
Contact custom fields allow you to enter extra details about your contacts. For example, you may want to add a Job Title or a Birthday custom field in order to have that information about your clients.
Email address contact fields are essential if a user wants to be able to log in to the portal and access their account.
In the account, open the Info tab to get to the Contacts section. All contacts linked to the account are displayed. Here, you select who has access to the account, who receives email sent from TaxDome and whose email is synced with yours. If you want to add more email contact fields, such as for a family member, a spouse, or a business partner, click Link Contacts.
Email addresses entered in custom fields will show up in a contact search and are available when you link a contact to a new account.
Adding Contact Fields While Importing
Add custom fields to your contacts when you import your client data to TaxDome:
1. Once you’ve reached the Map Contacts stage of your import, you might notice that there is no contact property name to pair with a column header name you used on your spreadsheet. Don’t worry! Create a new contact property name or custom field by selecting New field from the drop-down menu.
2. Select the field type: Text or Email, then enter the field name. For example, you might want a Daytime Phone or a Birthday contact field.
3. Click Save.
Once the import is done, the new custom field will be available for all your contacts.
Adding Contact Custom Fields From Settings
Add new custom fields to your contacts whenever you want:
1. Go to Settings, select Custom Fields, then Contacts, and then click + Add Field.
2. Select the field type: Text or Email.
3. Enter a name for the new custom field under Field name—for example, Birthday, EIN, SSN or Best Time to Call—then click Save.
Once you've created the new custom field, it will be available for all of your contacts.
Adding Custom Fields for Existing Contacts
1. First, export all your accounts: Go to your Clients page. In the Contacts section, click Export Contacts. You’ll then receive an email with a zip CSV file of your contacts attached.
2. Open the CSV file and delete all columns from the spreadsheet except for the contact name column. Add columns for the custom fields you want to add, then fill in the data.
3. Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file.
4. To upload the spreadsheet to TaxDome, go to your Clients page. In the Contacts section, click Import.
5. Skip the steps to map contacts fields. Create corresponding custom fields on TaxDome by selecting New field in the drop-down menu. For more detailed instructions, go here.
6. Click Continue and then Start Import on the last step.
7. Click Merge duplicates to update your existing contacts with new data.
Editing/Deleting Custom Fields
You can always edit the custom fields you’ve created. Go to Settings, select Custom Fields, then Contacts or Accounts.
To rename: Click the pencil icon to the far right of the field you want to edit, make your changes, then click Save.
To change the order: Click and hold on the move icon to the far right of the field, drag-and-drop it, then click Save.
To delete: Click on the trash can icon to the far right of the field you want to remove, then confirm. Once a field has been deleted, it will no longer be available in your contacts or accounts. Also, this affects all templates in which the custom field was used as a shortcode.
Searching Custom Field Content
You can search for specific contact or account custom-field content using a keyword in the left slide-out search field:
- Type in the search field in the Contacts or Accounts section. Press enter on your keyboard to view your search results. Click the x in the search field to clear it.
- Click the search button on the left sidebar on any page, type in the search field, then review the results in the Accounts and Contacts tabs.
Using Custom Fields as Shortcodes
Custom fields are also used as shortcodes, or dynamic data, to add recipient-specific text, such as a person’s birthday, phone, or SSN. In the chart below find out where to use account and contact custom fields as shortcodes:
|Account custom fields|| Bulk email (in the subject line and/or body text)
Email templates (in the subject line and/or body text)
|Contact custom fields|| Bulk emails
For example, if you use the custom field Date of Birth in an email template, the recipient will receive an email with their birthday date (if that custom field has been filled in their contact details).